The Town of Cumberland is embarking on an exciting new initiative to promote Healthy Streets, Neighborhoods, and Town through the development of a nuisance abatement program. A nuisance is something that interferes with the enjoyment of a person’s property or the community’s health, safety, morals, and general welfare. It includes violations of local ordinances and/or state or federal laws, noxious odors, and things that cause hazardous conditions. While this is a somewhat broad definition, the Town has adopted objectives for the program that will take a holistic approach to addressing various types of issues or perceived issues in our community and promote the great community we are.
There are five (5) primary objectives for the project:
- Identify areas of concern and develop targeted responses.
- Study and understand the root causes of the community concerns.
- Create community pride and ownership.
- Initiate programs that will increase the quality of life on a neighborhood level.
- Promote the Town of Cumberland as a great community to live and start a business.
Over the next year, Cumberland will be focusing on these objectives and we need the help of residents to really make this initiative a success. We need to know if there are concerns in your neighborhood or if you see something suspicious. Please contact us in one of these ways:
- Contact information:
- Christine Owens (you should have all mine)
- Life threatening emergency – Call 911
- Non-emergency Cumberland Police: (317) 894-3525 M-Th 8 am – 9 pm & Fridays 8 am – 5 pm
- After Hours non-emergency contacts for Cumberland Resident:
- In Marion County – Indianapolis Non-emergency dispatch: (317) 327-3811
- In Hancock County - Hancock County Sheriff’s Department: (317) 477-1144
- Anonymous Tip Line: 317-894-6208
Throughout the process, we will hold community forums and share information about crime prevention, nuisance abatement, common code violations, and programs offered in our area. If there are particular things you want to know more about or concerns you want to pass along to the Town, please submit those here.