Historic National Road
The Historic National Road, also known as US 40 as well as Washington Street in Indianapolis, was the main thoroughfare that brought about the establishment of Cumberland. Originally constructed in the early 1800's, this road began in Cumberland, MD, and eventually connected to St. Louis. Cumberland was named after the originating terminus of the road in Maryland. Along this road, many travelers came through and stopped in Cumberland on their way into Indianapolis. The road later saw the development of the town around it, and later the Terre Haute, Indianapolis & Eastern Interurban that brought many passengers and freight to Cumberland. The interurban was an electric rail car that traveled in the middle of the street. The interurban station for Cumberland was located at what is now Bob's Barber Shop. Today, the National Road is home to Cumberland's historic district and streetscape, which eloquently preserves the rich culture and historic flavor of the town.
|The new sign for Cumberland along the Historic National Road||The new streetscape looking towards Town from the East|
|The new rest area along the Historic National Road near Buck Creek||The Historic National Road is prevalent in many places throughout Cumberland|